Denver Metro circle

William H Kaempfer

Jan 28, 2017, 7:35:00 PM1/28/17
to cob...@googlegroups.com

Todd Deininger, Peter Gent, John Vanderpoel and I set off this morning to circle the Denver Metro area.  We began at the Highline Canal/Chatfield spot for Trumpeter Swan before continuing on to Roxborough Park in order to add some foothills species like Woodhouse’s Scrub Jay and Spotted Towhee, although we missed Canyon Wren here.  We continued to the South Platte Park area for usual, but no unusual ducks, and then McLelland Reservoir where we found the Dunlin previously reported by Gregg Goodrich.

Next we swung all the way out to Aurora Reservoir where we added lots of birders to our list (probably around 25) as well as some of the great species reported there this month including Greater White-fronted goose (3), Ross’s Goose (2), Iceland, Thayer’s, Glaucous, Lesser Black-backed and Great Black-backed Gulls.  Finally we hit the golf course on Wadsworth just north of 72nd where we added about another 12 birders to our list as well as Brant and another Greater White-fronted Goose.  For the day we had 53 species which probably just edged out the number of birders we saw.

Bill Kaempfer

Boulder

Peter Gent

Jan 29, 2017, 3:45:12 PM1/29/17
to Bill Kaempfer, cob...@googlegroups.com
Bill,

Thanks for all the ebird reports and the Cobirds posting.

I see from ebird that a Brant was seen at Aurora Res yesterday, but it was seeing flying away around 8:30am.  So, still no evidence that there is more than one in the Denver area.  Also, Steve Mlodinow reported two Glaucous-winged Gulls: I think he has to be counting the bird that we saw, but weren't bold enough to call Glaucous-winged Gull.  I looked for the Stub-tailed Wren this morning around 8am, but couldn't find it.

Cheers,  Peter.