Rough legged hawk

Greg Pasquariello

Feb 25, 2017, 2:09:05 PM2/25/17
to Colorado Birds
There is a nicely visible rough-legged hawk at Carson nature center on the poles just north of the visitor center

Greg Pasquariello

Feb 25, 2017, 2:24:59 PM2/25/17
to Colorado Birds
I'm going to amend this to unidentified buteo.  It might be a Harlans.  This bird has long wings, to the end of the tail, and it -appears- to have feathered tarsi.  It has the "small billed" look that I associate with rough leg.  However, it's much more sooty than any rough leg I've seen and the light parts are not as blonde.  Finally, just before I left, it fanned it's tail, and there's a bit of red just above a darker band.  I did not see it fly.

Regards
-Greg Pasquariello

​Highlands Ranch CO