SNOWY OWL being seen right now. On roof of Wayne Carle Middle School

Joe Roller

Dec 27, 2017, 12:39:53 PM12/27/17
to Colorado Birds
Peter Gent found the SNOW this morningand asked me to post this information. The owl has been sitting there for the past 45 minutes.
Message sent at 10:43, Wed AM, Dec 27.

Yesterday Paul Hurtado mentioned that the school is "... about 200-300 yards left/southeast from the gated fence blocking access aling the top of the dam."
Wayne Carle Middle School

Please update or correct this information.

Joe Roller, Denver

Paul Hurtado

Dec 27, 2017, 2:12:53 PM12/27/17
to Joe Roller, CObirds
The bird is currently being seen just off of 86th Street between Queen and Newcomb.

People are in the field watching it. I HIGHLY recommend you do NOT view from the field, as it is perfectly visible from the sidewalk a hundred yards east from Queen Street. Parking on Queen, walking across 86th then left a hundred yards is also the shortest walk.

Again, view from the sidewalk and encourage others to do the same.

Good birding,
Paul Hurtado

Ira Sanders

Dec 27, 2017, 4:17:07 PM12/27/17
to Paul Hurtado, Joe Roller, cobirds

Tom Wilberding

Dec 27, 2017, 6:41:20 PM12/27/17
to Colorado Birds

Here's a photo of the sleepy Snowy of Standley, Westminster. I took this from the sidewalk on 86th Parkway, south side of the lake, far from the bird, about 1 pm.

I heard that this immature Snowy Owl spent part of the morning on the roof of the middle school north of the lake. Two ravens evicted it, so it flew to the south shore, Standley Lake Regional Park, open to the public. It stood sturdily on the ground--looking like a white fire hydrant or R2D2.

Some birders left the sidewalk and crossed the park fence to get a closer look. Snowy kept a close eye on them, and perhaps was pleased that their shoes got very muddy!

Enjoyed seeing lots of birders, including CFO pals Doug Faulkner and Larry Modesitt.

Susan Rosine

Dec 27, 2017, 8:53:12 PM12/27/17
to Colorado Birds
I was one of MANY observers at approx 4pm. By that time it was perched on a park bench on the south side of Standley Lake. People were keeping their distance, but everyone (i.e. non-birders) was pulling over to see what was going on! The very nice Park Ranger came and directed everyone off the street and to the legit parking spots, if they wanted to view the bird. I heard him explaining to people about the owl, and he seemed very knowledgeable!
Susan Rosine
Thornton