Ruby-throated Hummingbird - No Show Today, Larimer County

Ken & Christie Pals

Aug 16, 2015, 10:34:28 PM8/16/15
to COBirds
COBirders,

The bird that I reported as a female Ruby-throated Hummingbird yesterday was a no show today.  Birders might be questioning my id for the bird and rightfully so as Ruby-throated and Black-chinned females are virtually identical.

What first grabbed our attention was the smaller size as we have way more Broad-tailed Hummingbirds around. Second, we noticed a strong facial contrast and a fairly straight bill.  We have Black-chinned hummers around and their bill tends to be curved in my opinion. The eyes seemed to be large as there was a wide & strong dark contrasting eye line.  The throat was very light.  The bird's back including the nape and crown was green.  I did not get a look at the primaries which would help a bunch to confirm. Also we did not notice any tail pumping, but to be honest, I wasn't focused on that aspect of behavior.

If it shows again, I will post. The hummer activity seems to be greatest early in the morning, sparse during the day and really picks up at around 6 p.m.

Good birding.

Ken Pals, Fort Collins