Passa al primo messaggio da leggere

Scott

da leggere,
25 gen 2020, 10:54:4025/01/20
a COBIRDS
Hi everyone,

I am looking for locations where we can place nest boxes for American
Kestrels.

American Kestrel numbers have been in decline for several years, due to
predation (mostly by house cats and Coopers Hawks), disease and loss of
nesting sites.

I am the Director of CARRI, www.carriep.org   The Colorado Avian
Research and Rehabilitation Institute and our members have been building
and placing nest boxes for these  tiny falcons for a few years.

So far we have about 80 boxes placed from Arvada to the Wyoming Border
and want to have 200 in  place sooner than later.

Kestrels habitat is open country with some type of pole , tree or
building where the box can be attached to.

Each box is 9x9 x 18 inches deep.  We will be accepting donations for
each box.

If you feel you have the proper habitat and would like to participate in
this project, e-mail me privately.

Thank You,

Scott Rashid
Estes Park
www.carriep.org

linda hodges

da leggere,
25 gen 2020, 11:01:3025/01/20
a Scott, COBIRDS
Scott,

Are you looking state-wide?

Linda Hodges
Colorado Springs

bbeat...@gmail.com

da leggere,
25 gen 2020, 11:36:1725/01/20
a pygm...@frii.com, COBIRDS
Hi Scott, I almost always, especially in summer, see a kestrel on C 105, between Sedalia and Wolfensberger Road. If you like, I can contact land owners and see if they would allow it. Thanks, Brenda

Brenda Beatty
Senior Biologist
SolCon (Solar Conservation Services)
303-909-1443 (cell/text/voicemail)

Gary Bowen (Thornton)

da leggere,
26 gen 2020, 08:47:0726/01/20
a Colorado Birds
Hello Scott -

Would you approach city departments to get permission to use open space lands? If so, the Big Dry Creek Trail in Westminster is a great location as is the Metzger Farm Open Space . I've taken pics of kestrels there for years.

https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/36480739

Gary Bowen
Thornton, CO

Rhonda Fogel

da leggere,
26 gen 2020, 21:47:0226/01/20
a Colorado Birds
I live on acreage in the area described by Brenda Beatty, A pair of kestrels visit every Spring, and have occasionally nested and raised their brood here. It has become a competition between kestrels and flickers each Spring. The varied terrain is a mixture of forest, meadow, and a wide draw. I would be totally okay with a nesting box placed here should you determine there is an appropriate spot. Also, relative to Gary Bowen’s comment, several very tall perching poles have been placed on Douglas County’s Hidden Mesa Open Space hoping to attract predatory birds in an attempt to modify the snake and prairie dog populations. I’m wondering whether those poles might be possibilities for placement of your kestrel boxes. The Hidden Mesa environment is as you describe.
Rispondi a tutti
Rispondi all'autore
Inoltra
0 nuovi messaggi