Rosy-Finches - Golden - Jeffco - Yes

Ira Sanders

Feb 26, 2015, 9:26:06 AM2/26/15
to cobirds, Ira Sanders

Birders, Rosy-Finches are here this morning and there is 100+ of them.
You need boots to get around the south side of the house to see the backyard.
There isn't a lot of room to park on the street because of the snow but you can park in front of my driveway.

Ira Sanders
Golden, CO

Jennifer Hallam

Feb 26, 2015, 2:55:45 PM2/26/15
to cob...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ira!

Thank you for the updates on the on your Rosy Finches. I gotta get to there and see them soon. I know you've posted your address before but I'm having trouble finding it. Can you post it again or send me an email with it? Thank you again!

Jennifer
ghi...@gmail.com
Ken Caryl, CO

P.S. Sorry to hear about your elk damage :( Dang elk >:(

small.j...@gmail.com

Feb 27, 2015, 5:13:38 PM2/27/15
to cob...@googlegroups.com, zroadr...@gmail.com
I swung by Ira's today to admire the rosy-finches. As I parked, a kestrel came zipping toward his front porch, pursuing a puffed brown rosy. It missed and smacked into the front door. It wasn't hurt and Ira came out to see what the fuss was. Apparently the kestrel hangs out in the same tree with the rosies and leaves them be. Ira guessed it was after this one, which has been acting sick and is continually puffed up: http://i.imgur.com/fk3Ll0b.jpg. (Is that a white-winged junco keeping it company?)

Thanks for shoveling that path, Ira, that was very kind of you. It was lovely watching 115 finches descend on your bird seed. Thanks for being a great host to both birds and birders!

My count on Rosy-Finches: 9 Hepburn's Grey-crowned, perhaps a Brown-capped (I'm unsure: http://i.imgur.com/tbPGrss.jpg), and the rest were Grey-crowned (interior form). I didn't spot any Black.

Jen Small
Denver, CO

p.s., A group of rosy-finches is known as a "bouquet".

Ira Sanders

Feb 28, 2015, 9:09:57 AM2/28/15
to cobirds

Ira Sanders

Ira Sanders

Mar 1, 2015, 9:10:43 AM3/1/15
to cobirds

Ira Sanders

Ira Sanders

Mar 3, 2015, 9:45:35 AM3/3/15
to cobirds
Birders,
There are at present, about 40 Rosy-Finches at the house.  They were so fixed on food this morning that they stayed on the fire pit feeding while I was still spreading seed on the patio.
It is starting to snow  so that may account for the behavior.

--
Ira Sanders
Golden, CO

Ira Sanders

Mar 4, 2015, 9:46:47 AM3/4/15
to cobirds
Birders,
There are Rosy-Finches here today.  There are now 3 who are fluffy and don't fly away from me.  I almost poured seed on one of then and 2 were fighting at my feet.  I just about picked up one.