Pine Grosbeak - Golden - Jeffco

Ira Sanders

Dec 28, 2015, 11:24:19 AM12/28/15
to cobirds
Birders,
For a very brief time there was a male Pine Grosbeak on the feeders in front of the house.  As I was finishing putting out the feeders, I heard a loud clear call that made me think Grosbeak and when I looked, I saw this large (compared to siskins and juncos) red bird with bold white wing stripes.  By the time I grabbed binocs it was gone but I heard the call again to the north.  (I haven't heard it or seen it in the last 10 min.)  I then checked the call on Sibley's and it was a dead on match for PIGR.  Keep your eyes and ears open if you come up.
I haven't seen any of the more unusual birds this a.m. but I did sleep late.

--
Ira Sanders
Golden, CO