Spotted Sandpipers breeding in Canon City area--very agitated parent and at least 2 tiny downy chicks

SeEttaM .

Jul 19, 2015, 1:25:47 AM7/19/15
to cob...@googlegroups.com
For some years I have looked for evidence of Spotted Sandpiper breeding along the Arkansas River without success until today.  As I walked in Florence River Park along the water's edge I ran into a very agitated parent bird that flew with 7 to 8 feet of me.  After retreating and standing quietly some distance away for a full 10 minutes the parent retrieved a downy chick from the vegetation near the water.  I observed at least 2 young chicks at one point but much of the time they were in or near thick vegetation so could have been more. I spent close to an hour observing and photographing them and I have uploaded pics onto my Birds and Nature blog/

SeEtta Moss
Canon City
http://BirdsAndNature.blogspot.com