Dickcissel singing away in Canon City and cicadas are flying

SeEtta Moss

Jun 22, 2013, 1:42:56 AM6/22/13
to cob...@googlegroups.com
I listed to a Dickcissel singing his heart out this morning in the hay field on MacKenzie Ave that I have been reporting about but I did not hear or see the Bobolink.

I saw a couple of dozen cicadas flying as I drove about 2 miles through some juniper/cactus grasslands in the Canon City area this morning.  Where they were flying to I have no idea (appeared to be short flights).  They were singing strong along this whole section.  I have uploaded two photos onto my Birds and Nature blog that show them up close.  I think these are Cacama or Cactus Dodger--"They are known for their affinity for cacti like prickly pear & cholla..."  which fits as there was both of these species of cactus in abundance in this location.

SeEtta Moss
Canon City
Personal blog @ http://BirdsAndNature.blogspot.com
Blogging for Birds an Blooms Magazine @ http://BirdsAndBloomsBlog.com