Very large flock of migrating Common Nighthawks on east side of Florence

SeEttaM .

Aug 22, 2016, 1:35:56 AM8/22/16
to cob...@googlegroups.com
Earlier this evening while I walked in Florence River Park on east side of Florence I spotted a large number of birds flying in a sort of line of birds.  I thought they must be gulls but turned out they were Common Nighthawks (presumptive, the ones I could see clearly were Common Nighthawks and that is the likely species).  They just kept coming--there were at least 75 nighthawks in this migrating flock and more likely 100.  I got several good pics including one photo with more than 60 nighthawks in the picture--I have uploaded them to my Birds and Nature blog.

This was an awesome spectacle especially since Common Nighthawks have been in decline.  The most I think I have seen migrating down the Arkansas River corridor was 12 birds in 2014.

SeEtta Moss
Canon City
http://BirdsAndNature.blogspot.com