Ordway stockyard ditch and other areas north of Rocky Ford and La Junta

SeEttaM .

Sep 15, 2014, 2:05:39 AM9/15/14
to cob...@googlegroups.com
I birded Friday afternoon in several areas north of Rocky Ford and La Junta including Lakes Meredith, Henry, Holbrook and the Ordway town reservoir--a few shorebirds at the lakes but very few birds at any of these locations.  The most shorebirds I found were in the bar ditch adjacent to the Ordway stockyard:  5 Greater Yellowlegs, 2 Baird's Sandpipers and a few Killdeer.  I saw a couple of dark ibis land south of the stockyard but the settling ponds are no longer visible from the road.  White headed gulls were circling the stockyards as usual.  Landbirds were in very short supply in several areas with trees and shrubs that I checked.  I did see several Burrowing Owls around that have not left including one that was perched close to the road that I was able to get some very close photos (can even see the nares in one pic) that I have uploaded to my Birds and Nature blog.

SeEtta Moss
Canon City
http://BirdsAndNature.blogspot.com