Other interesting Lamar area birds

SeEttaM .

May 1, 2014, 3:12:53 AM5/1/14
to cob...@googlegroups.com
At least one Broad-winged Hawk made the most of Lamar Woods today (Wed).  I saw in both the north and south sections (or could be two birds), including with a good sized prey item in it's talons--I subsequently found a lot of feathers that had recently been plucked so likely a dove.  Also saw first of the year for Colorado Common Yellowthroat, Gray Catbird and Black-chinned Hummingbird.

I also saw briefly an empid both today and Monday but wasn't sure about it's brief calls.  I believe it is the one-syllable sounding call of the Cordilleran Flycatcher whose call I found on Nathan Pieplow's 'Earbirding' website.

Standing in a flooded agricultural field off H50 with a few dozen dark ibis was a Marbled Godwit.

SeEtta Moss
Canon City
http://BirdsAndNature.blogspot.com