Large migrating flock

Jeff Percell

Oct 10, 2023, 8:02:26 PM10/10/23
to Colorado Birds
On my commute home (Boulder to Erie), about 15 minutes ago there was a large flock of birds flying southwest over Kenosha Road. Unfortunately I was in a line of cars behind a tractor and not able to stop. The birds were relatively low, somewhere between 30-100' off the ground, but at a distance I couldn't ID them as I was maybe a half mile +/- from them. I'd estimate anywhere from 50,000 to upwards of a few hundred thousand birds. I wasn't able to see them clearly enough, but anticipate they were some sort of blackbirds. Entirely possible they stopped along 287 or perhaps continued over Lafayette.

Curious if anyone else was out in the area and saw the birds to ID them or get a better count.

Thanks,
Jeff Percell
Erie, CO