Yellow-bellied Sapsucker (probable) Arapahoe

Mary Kay Waddington

Mar 21, 2020, 5:38:49 PM3/21/20
to Colorado Birds
A couple weeks ago I had a female Yellow-bellied Sapsucker in my yard for just a few minutes -- then it was gone.  Today I saw (just as briefly) what I assume is the same bird.  Female Sapsucker, no red on the nape and I think (but am not sure) I caught a glimpse of a white throat. It seems to sit still for only about 5 seconds then flies 100 feet, 5 seconds, gone...

But if anyone cares to try to find it they are welcome to park in my driveway, 1809  E. Tufts.  And feel free to walk around my field and down to the creek as well.

Oh, and if for some reason you decide to try to look for this fleeting bird, you probably should take a quick look at the Eastern Screech too -- Recently it's been sitting in the R fork of the elm tree on the W of the house, just a few feet from the SW corner.  Try not to scare him please -- it's my favorite thing and I want it to stick around!

Mary Kay