Virginia Rail, Black-crowned Night-Heron at Walden/Sawhill Ponds, Boulder

Kit Basom

Jul 17, 2018, 12:15:41 PM7/17/18
to Colorado Birds

A little before 7 a.m., saw one black-crowned night-heron at Cottonwood Marsh (Walden Ponds). Still there when I came back at 8:45.

Meanwhile, in the interior of Sawhill Ponds, heard a loud call from the cattails less than 3 meters away. As I stood, a Virginia rail walked into full view, called a few more times and then started eating. I watched it probing the mud near my feet for ~5 min, until it stepped back into the cover of cattails. The best, closest, and most prolonged view I've ever had.

--Kit