CFO Seeks a Paid Project and Event Manager

Greg Osland

Aug 29, 2021, 9:01:25 PM8/29/21
to cob...@googlegroups.com

Colorado Field Ornithologists seeks a Project and Event Manager who will manage the implementation of a new CRM (Constituent Relationship Management) and the full redesign of the CFO website. This person will continue to follow through with the implementation of the new software package while managing or assisting with CFO’s three annual events in 2022. This manager will report to the CFO President and collaborate with our software vendor (NeonOne), the Board of Directors, and other volunteers as a 12-month contractor in a half-time, paid position with possibility of renewal.

CFO is a not-for-profit (501(c)3) birding organization that seeks to engage people of all types in our mission of the study, conservation, and enjoyment of Colorado’s bird populations. CFO is expanding rapidly in size, scope, and impact. We seek a high-energy, qualified person who would like to help CFO fulfill our mission.

JOB RESPONSIBILITIES

PROJECT MANAGEMENT

Manage and ensure the implementation of CFO’s new CRM/website:  Develop goals, a timetable, and processes to meet CFO’s essential deadlines.

CRM Implementation:

      Data migration: identify and collect needed data tables, export, clean, import, group and tag, and test.

      Buildout: develop workflows for membership renewal, event promotion, etc. Learn to build registration forms, set up the 2022 event pages and forms, learn to build and send emails to members.

      Rollout: execute a communications strategy to inform members of a new website and encourage them to develop new logins and review their contact information.

Website Implementation:

      Coordination: acquire needed content from CFO committees and the  webmaster in a timely fashion and collaborate closely with NeonOne.

      Planning: establish scope, functionality (requirements), URL strategy.

      Design: utilize wireframing, navigation, page templates.

      Content: collaborate with our new volunteer Graphic Designer on style, look, copy, graphics, photography, links, overall consistency, and branding.

      Testing: ensure accessibility, integration with CRM, clarity and ease of use by constituents, etc.

Ongoing Website Training and Maintenance:

      Training: instruct and assist CFO Board members and other volunteers on the use of the CRM/website.

      Updating: develop and help oversee the integration of new content, updates, and refinement by others. Coordinate with NeonOne and the committees.

EVENT MANAGEMENT

      Manage or assist with the three major annual events of 2022, including the processes of registration, donations, pledges, and payments.

-       spring 2022 Colorado Birding Challenge (COBC)

-       spring 2022 Annual Convention

-       fall 2022 field trips event

      Manage the website donation processes for Giving Tuesday and Colorado Gives Day.

      Help ensure high levels of participants’ satisfaction.

      Help ensure that the goals of each event are attained.

      Collaborate closely with CFO committee chairs of the events and with the Communications Committee.

      Lead the post-event evaluation and communication of the COBC, Annual Convention, and Fall Event. Begin the planning, budgeting, and coordination of the 2023 annual events.

JOB QUALIFICATIONS

The ideal candidate will have:

  1. Ability and experience in project management: setting goals, organizing and implementing projects of several-months duration and in meeting hard deadlines.
  2. Demonstrated ability to lead teams and collaborate well with others as a manager or as an assistant with excellent written and verbal communication skills.
  3. Demonstrated ability to use CRMs for business purposes and basic understanding of how they operate and integrate with a Wordpress content management system.
  4. Basic understanding of front-end web design and experience working with graphic designers.
  5. Demonstrated ability to organize and implement events involving several hundred people using an internal communication plan.
  6. Ability and experience in training others.
  7. Familiarity with relational databases and their management including migration.

NOTE:  Responsibilities and accountabilities may be modified at any time over the contract year based on contractor’s skills and project/event needs. This job description is not intended to be an exhaustive or fixed list of the responsibilities or qualifications associated with the job.

JOB STRUCTURE

      Half-time[3] [4] [5] , W-9 contractor for one year with possibility of renewal

      Variable work schedule over the year: likely more than half-time in Oct-Jan and less than half-time[6] [7]  in Jun-Sep

      Total pay of $30,000 (dispersed equally over 12 months)

      Reports to the President, who represents the Board

Interested in Applying?

Send a cover letter and resume by September 10 to cfo...@cobirds.org. Applicants will be reviewed on a rolling basis[8] . The intended start date is on or before October 1.

Statement of inclusion and non-discrimination: CFO welcomes applications from all people without regard to race, ethnicity, gender, religion, sexual orientation, nationality, or age.

 [GO1]

 [GO2]

i think we need to specify what half time means - is that 20 hours a week or 30 hours a week? part time is usually considered less than 30 hours a week. that makes a difference to people if they make an average of $28/hour (20 hours per week) or $19/hr (30 hours per week). I would phrase it as "Half-time (average of 20hours/week), W9 contractor..."

The Project and Event Manager is responsible for getting the jobs completed, not for counting hours.  This is more of a half-time salaried position, than an hourly position.  I would predict that the person will work more than 20 hours a week on average.  We will probably need to help them not overwork and to seek to get more volunteer help as needed. The person is ultimately responsible for managing how much time they work for CFO. Someone with the business skills to fulfill this job is likely not coming from an "hourly" mentality, but from a salaried perspective.

I agree with leaving this as "Half-time" without any extra understanding.

here again I would phrase it as "likely slightly more than 20 hours a week on average Oct to May and likely less than 20 hours a week on average May 2022 through Sept 2022"

And definitely will be busy Feb and March - I see those as major behind the scenes months of registration prep for SURE march. In fact Jan might be the slowest in that time period

Plus the way i split it, its about 6 months of busier and 6 months of not as busy.

If we know this person is a contractor and have already decided they understand the life of a contractor (take the famine with the flood), then we don't need to say this.

If however we feel like this is important to have in the job announcement because we think it will deter folks from applying for the job who won't have that type of availability, I am fine with saving everyone that time.

I agree that this doesn't need to be stated.