Pueblo birds this week

Brandon

Jan 14, 2023, 11:17:47 AM1/14/23
to cob...@googlegroups.com
Since I was out if the state the first week of the year, I finally got to bird around Pueblo this week.  Quite a few rarities around Lake Pueblo State Park this week.  My highlights:  The Gull show, first year Glaucous-winged Gull (also a hybrid Glaucous-winged x Herring Gull continues since December), first or second year Glaucous Gull, at least one adult Short-billed Gull, many Iceland (Thayer's) Gulls, Lesser Black-backed Gulls, and an adult Great Black-backed Gull.  Three species of Loons, several Commons, 1 Pacific and 1 Red-throated.  Six species of Grebes have been seen, 1 Red-necked and 2 Clark's Grebes, many Horned, Eared, Western, Pied-billed.  One Double-crested Cormorant, a White-winged Scoter, Long-tailed Duck, and male Barrow's Goldeneye.  For passerines this week, highlights were Winter Wren, Gray Catbird, Harris's, White-throated and Swamp Sparrows.  Out of the Pueblo Reservoir CBC circle, I saw the continuing Yellow-bellied Sapsucker and Golden-crowned Kinglet in Blende, and Brown-headed Cowbird in Vineland.  I am nearly at 100 bird species in Pueblo County this year, since Sunday late afternoon.

Good birding,

Brandon K. Percival
Pueblo West,  CO