Two Ponds NWR & Lake Arbor, JeffCo

Amy Cervene

May 28, 2017, 12:56:14 PM5/28/17
to Cobirds
I don't recall ever seeing a report from Two Ponds on the list, so I thought I'd share one.

The entrance off 80th (East entrance) leads to the actual ponds; the two sides of the Refuge are not connected. I just birded the east side. I mostly saw the usual suspects, but was somewhat surprised by a pair of Bushtits, and was delighted by a Veery as I was leaving (in a grove of trees to the right at the east Refuge entrance).

I didn't have a lot of time to spend today but I know there are good birds there - the extensive bird list was one of the determining factors in creating the Refuge.

A subsequent stop at Lake Arbor in Arvada produced one Cattle Egret, and a Red -tailed Hawk being mobbed by Red-winged Blackbirds, Crows, and Grackles.

Amy

Highlands Ranch

Lorraine Lanning

May 29, 2017, 9:26:14 AM5/29/17
to Colorado Birds
FYI, the two sides ARE connected. If you go in the east entrance, walk up the hill to the south side and there is a gate to the canal. Walk west along the canal to the west side of the refuge. The west side is accessible from dawn until dusk year-round, the east side is closed for a good part of the year and opens at 8am when open.

Hours of Operation: Tuesdays - Saturdays, 8am - 4pm, May - September; and closed October - April.

Regards,
Lorraine Lanning