Huerfano County Update: Scissor-tailed Flycatcher and Bobolinks

Polly Neldner

May 31, 2015, 12:33:12 AM5/31/15
to cob...@googlegroups.com
Decided to drive out County Road 358 for a short distance while Paul was in town with a client. Was very surprised to find a Scissor-tailed Flycatcher sitting on a barbed wire fence! I had recognized it for what it was and was just creeping a little closer when I saw a truck coming, fearing the bird would fly I took two quick id shots. The bird did fly as the truck passed. I did a quick u-turn and pursued. After quite a bit of looking I spotted it far down in a cow pasture. Had to view through a spotting scope to clearly see it.
I returned to our house to pick up Paul and we tried for an hour to re-locate it. While searching for the Scissor-tailed I heard a Bobolinks calling. I turned around and there was a male Bobolink directly behind the car! We drove out 358 for a short distance trying again for the Scissor-tailed and were treated to several Bobolink males displaying. We witnessed courtship flights between males and females. This field used to be planted with alfalfa and cut more than once a season. They have since let it go to natural grass and it is now only cut once a season. This appears to be another breeding location for the county, and they are easier to spot here than at the location on County Road 360!

We did finally re-locate the Scissor-tailed...again far down in a cow pasture and had good spotting scope views.  Have posted the one decent ID photo to CFO Facebook page.

We did file a report with CBRC as Scissor-tailed does not appear on the Huerfano County checklist. I did request it be added, but felt that documentation should be submitted.

Polly Wren and Paul Neldner
La Veta, CO