Huerfano County Update: Red-necked Grebe, Black Scoter, Tennessee Warbler

Polly Neldner

Oct 26, 2013, 4:05:13 PM10/26/13
to cob...@googlegroups.com
Paul and I finally made it out to Lathrop State Park this morning around 8:30 or so. We found a Tennessee Warbler in a mixed flock of Ruby-crowned Kinglet, Mountain and Black-capped Chickadees near North Martin Inlet. There was a Red-necked Grebe mixed in with many Common Mergansers and Clark's/Western Grebes at Huajatolla Cove.

We were just beginning to take a quick look at Horseshoe Lake when I checked my e-mail. Mark Peterson had sent a message about the Red-necked Grebe  an hour before we saw it. He had sent a  second message telling me there was a Black Scoter on Horseshoe Lake. We were able to re-locate the Black Scoter. Thank you Mark! This was a new Colorado bird for me and a lifer for Paul!

Polly Wren and Paul Neldner
La Veta, CO