Ferruginous Hawks at Lagerman Reservoir

Carl Starace

Dec 22, 2014, 1:56:07 PM12/22/14
to cob...@googlegroups.com
Hi,        I didn't find yesterday's Iceland Gull but did observe a light juvenile Ferruginous Hawk when I arrived at 8:20 am. It was on the ground about 75 yards from the western edge of the reservoir. Some time later David Dowell and Russ Thompson arrived looking for the Iceland Gull,[and we all had great looks at this hawk. Three Northern Harriers put in an appearance, all at the same time. After David and Russ left I observed a second 1st year Ferruginous come in and land on the Osprey platform just south of the first bird. I had been watching the first Ferruginous for over two hours. It finally flew off when the second bird left the platform. A flock of a dozen American Pipits took wing just before I left at 10:30.  Good Holiday Birding,       Carl Starace,   Niwot