???painted redstart Arapahoe county

Deborah Carstensen

May 6, 2020, 5:58:10 PM5/6/20
to Cobirds
I saw a bird today on the trail upstream 1/2 mile from the Kingfisher bridge east of the Platte River at Chatfield reservoir. I have an absolutely horrible video that shows the white edge tails and white on the wing. He had a bright orange chest and abdomen.
I also had tried to take a recording of it but it didn’t end up being audible.
He had also been seen by another Birder who was in unable to identify him.
So take that for what it’s worth! Please let me know if anyone sees it and has it identified as anything else.
Deb Carstensen, Arapahoe county

Sent from my iPhone

Wayne Wathen

May 6, 2020, 6:23:15 PM5/6/20
to Cobirds, fiddl...@aol.com
I am assuming that it was then smaller than the nice Bullock's Oriole male that we saw today at Cherry Creek State Park.  It has lots of the orange you described as well as white in the wing but don't think it has white on tail edges.  We also managed to see 7 Horned Grebes, still some White Pelicans out there, a Great Horned Owl, a few Yellow-rumped and a couple Yellow Warblers.  Also a Northern Flicker in a tree cavity as well as another House Wren disappearing into another tree cavity.  Nothing rare but enjoyable to see.

Wayne Wathen, Highlands Ranch, Douglas County

May 6, 2020, 7:01:02 PM5/6/20
to 'Deborah Carstensen' via Colorado Birds
Any chance that you could forward the video? I’d love to see it. Painted is so distinct that even poor video should be adequate. Amazing bird!

Thanks!
Scott

Sent from my iPhone

Karl Stecher Jr.

May 6, 2020, 8:52:53 PM5/6/20
to Cobirds, fiddl...@aol.com
Sure sounds possible for painted redstart.  Size?  Activity?  What did the song sound like, in "Petersonian" words?

Karl Stecher
Aurora/Arapahoe