Red Phalarope discussion

Mark Minner-lee

Sep 1, 2019, 3:15:19 AM9/1/19
to cob...@googlegroups.com
For all the folks that were able to see the suspected Red Phalarope I would love your thoughts on how you came to your ID. I have reviewed multiple pictures and have a hard time making an ID one way or the other.

The bill at a distance certainly appears somewhat thicker, but not conclusively when closer photos show somewhat of a more needle-like appearance. Additionally there is brown mottling on the back which lends itself to being a red-necked (Juv). That being said I wasn’t able to find white edges to flight feathers that would be found on a juvenile red-necked.

I have little experience with this species so thanks in advance if I am making any incorrect assessments here and certainly if there are other accepted marks/behaviors that I should have looked for please share for the benefit of all.

Happy birding-

Mark Minner-Lee
Broomfield, CO

Sent from my iPhone