Possible Red Phalarope - Tower Rd - Adams County

JBreitsch - Denver

Oct 23, 2013, 12:43:19 PM10/23/13
to cob...@googlegroups.com
I had a strange birding morning today.  Among the birds that I saw were a phalarope (more on that in a moment), White-faced Ibis, dowitchers, and a Cattle Egret.

My question is on the phalarope. It was a bit streaky and dark on the back, but the bill seemed rather definitive for Red.  It was much thicker than you'd expect for the other phalaropes, and I believe some of the late stage juveniles can be a bit darker and streakier on the back.  I'm wondering if anyone can help with the ID of this bird.  It was in one of the lingering flood puddles along Tower Rd just north of 96th Ave.  That was also where the ibis and the dowitchers were.  The Cattle Egret was seen at Barr.

Phalarope

Cattle Egret

Long-billed Dowitcher

White-faced Ibis

John Breitsch
Denver, Colorado

P.S.  Standard warning:  If you look for the phalarope, watch for traffic along Tower Road.

David Dowell

Oct 23, 2013, 1:32:05 PM10/23/13
to cob...@googlegroups.com
John, the phalarope is a great find -- definitely a RED PHALAROPE.  The bird you found looks very much like the bird at Barr Lake Monday evening (the same bird?), which I was second guessing yesterday after finding a Red-Necked Phalarope in the same area.  Gray and black stripes could be seen at a distance through a scope.  Curiously, the gray and black striping seems atypical of Red Phalarope photos I've seen elsewhere.

David Dowell
Longmont, CO

Mark R

Oct 24, 2013, 2:55:46 PM10/24/13
to jbre...@hotmail.com, cob...@googlegroups.com
John,

I saw your Phalarope this morning and your description is spot on.  I used my scope to get an extra close look at the head and back - the bill is definitely thick and really doesn't taper to a needle-like point.  It was also short and almost appeared stubby compared to other phalaropes I've seen.

The back was definitely in-between plummages and streaked with black and grey.  I don't have enough experience to say one way or the other.

I also noticed a small amount of rusty coloring on the upper throat - I am not certain if this would also be found on a red-necked.

Anyway Thanks for sharing - was a beautiful bird to see up close.

Regards,

Mark Minner-Lee
Superior, CO

Sent from my iPhone

Dave Cameron

Oct 26, 2013, 7:53:12 PM10/26/13
to cob...@googlegroups.com
Can anyone confirm whether the Phalarope was still present today?

Thanks,

Dave Cameron
Denver

JBreitsch - Denver

Oct 26, 2013, 8:06:41 PM10/26/13
to cob...@googlegroups.com
All day long, Dave.  Seen by many.

John Breitsch
Denver, CO

Dave Cameron

Oct 26, 2013, 8:20:20 PM10/26/13
to cob...@googlegroups.com
Thanks!  We may run out there in the morning.

-dc