Malm Trail is Nonstop Action

mvjo...@gmail.com

Aug 29, 2020, 5:06:24 PM8/29/20
to Colorado Birds
On Saturday (today) I led a birding trip for 11 of us on the Malm Trail in Alamosa.  It was nothing short of fantastic! But it was not without its challenges as we adhered to strict COVID rules with masks and distancing. And if you think that is easy on a humid morning, well, my binoculars kept steaming up and needed to be wiped between breaths. We had 7 species of warblers alone!  I don't have the final tally and I am guessing we had close to 60-70 species for the morning.

Highlight birds for the day included American Bittern, Townsend's Warbler, Lazuli Bunting, Blue Grosbeak, Eastern Kingbird, Cedar Waxwing, Wilson's Snipe, Baird's Sandpiper, Gray Catbird, MacGillivrays Warbler, Willow Flycatcher, Wilson's, Orange-crowned, and Yellow Warblers, Lincolns Sparrow, and  Common Nighthawk. The action was nonstop! I think our group did an outstanding job of wearing masks and keeping our social distance among the flurry of bird activity.

John Rawinski
Monte Vista, CO