Costa's Hummingbird in Bent County update

Duane Nelson

Sep 11, 2021, 3:22:24 PM9/11/21
to Colorado Birds
Birders,

The immature male Costa's Hummingbird in my yard in Las Animas (Bent
County) CO is still present and providing good looks to observers as of
1 p.m. today. Birders are welcome.

Duane Nelson

Las Animas, Bent County, CO

Duane Nelson

Sep 14, 2021, 5:54:06 PM9/14/21
to Colorado Birds
Birders,

The immature male Costa's Hummingbird in my yard in Las Animas since
9/10 is still present this afternoon. It's behavior today has been
different. It has spent a lot of time flycatching high in trees,
sometimes being out of sight for longer periods of time. I'm not sure
whether this indicates it is stocking up on calories before departing
for points unknown.

I will update cobirds tomorrow morning if the bird is still here.
Birders are still welcome.

Duane Nelson

Sep 16, 2021, 8:24:45 PM9/16/21
to Colorado Birds
Birders,

The immature male Costa's Hummingbird in my yard in Las Animas, Bent
County CO has been present and easily seen from just before sunrise
through at least 6:20 p.m today. I will post tomorrow morning if it
returns. Birders are still welcome. Since hummingbirds migrate during
the day, I know there will be a first person to miss it. In the event
the bird leaves during the day, I will post as soon  the bird
potentially departs.

Duane Nelson

Las Animas, Bent County CO

Duane Nelson

Sep 17, 2021, 8:42:37 AM9/17/21
to Colorado Birds
Birders,

The immature male Costa's hummingbird visiting my feeders in Las Animas,
Bent County, CO has returned this morning for the eighth consecutive
day. Birders are welcome to look for it, although my lawn chairs may not
be upright when you arrive. We are currently under a high wind warning
due to the passage of a strong cold front. So far, the wind isn't strong
enough to tip and empty the feeders, and winds are predicted to ease
after 10 a.m. The hummingbird seems oblivious to the swaying branches
and perches.

Duane Nelson

Las Animas, CO

Duane Nelson

Sep 17, 2021, 8:22:24 PM9/17/21
to Colorado Birds
Birders,

Five parties observed the Costa's Hummingbird in my Las Animas yard
today from early morning through 3:30 p.m. This morning, it sat in plain
sight in the cold, cloudy, windy weather most of the time, possibly
slowing down it's metabolism to stay warm. Around noon, bugs began to
appear, and the hummingbird began to hunt them. As it warmed into the
low 70s, it disappeared for over and hour, and I thought it may have
departed. I can't say I was unhappy at the prospect that the bird might
have departed and corrected it's wayward ways.

Currently, the bird is roosting within a few feet of the feeders, and
I'm quite sure it will be here at dawn. I will update cobirds if the
bird returns tomorrow morning. Visitors are welcome.

Duane Nelson

Duane Nelson

Sep 18, 2021, 8:28:00 AM9/18/21
to Colorado Birds
Birders,

The immature male Costa's Hummingbird visiting the feeders in my yard
has appeared for the ninth consecutive day. Birders are welcome. I am
hoping the bird takes advantage of the warmer weather predicted for the
next few days and departs soon.