Chestnut-sided Warbler, Fountain Creek Park, El Paso County

Dale Adams

Nov 24, 2015, 4:06:45 PM11/24/15
to Colorado Birds
Four birders had close up looks at the first winter female Chestnut-sided Warbler that has been reported by others at Fountain Creek Regional Park in Colorado Springs (11:30 AM).  The bird was foraging in leaves on the ground near Mile Marker 18 (between the trail and Fountain Creek).  After the bird flew in, it continued to forage on the ground and approached within 4 feet or so of where we were standing not seeming to have any fear of people.  The bird paused in foraging to rest in the sun for about 2-3 minutes with its eyes closed with feathers puffed up causing us to wonder if it was not too healthy.  But then it perked up again and continued to forage energetically and we saw it eat an insect.

The winter wren was also present at the same time and location.

Good birding,
Dale & Joel Adams
Fremont County