Black-capped Chickadee Territorial Behavior & Great Horned feathers - Arapahoe

jared.d...@gmail.com

Jan 15, 2021, 5:26:50 PM1/15/21
to Colorado Birds
I believe it was Wednesday that I started hearing Black-capped Chickadees start up their well-known, two note songs around Centennial (Arapahoe). I also noted them seeming increasingly intolerant of others in both my yard and in neighborhood trees. A lot of active chasing going on right now. I'm also pretty sure I heard earthworms in the leaf litter on one of the warmer nights this week. Seemed early, but the mild weather might have had them active?

On a dog walk mid-week, I spotted what I think are two downy Great Horned Owl feathers in two different yards, separated by about 250 feet or so. Seemed unusual.

- Jared Del Rosso
Centennial, CO