Painted Bunting food

DAVID A LEATHERMAN

Jul 28, 2019, 6:06:52 PM7/28/19
to COBIRDS
Could just one of the dozens (hundreds?) of people who have seen the Audubon Nature Center painted bunting comment on what kind of seed it is getting?  What is in the feeders?  What was spread on the bench mentioned in Greg Goodrich's recent post?  Thank you.

Dave Leatherman
Fort Collins

Robb Hinds

Jul 28, 2019, 6:15:48 PM7/28/19
to daleat...@msn.com, COBIRDS
I have a couple photos that look like he is consuming millet.

Robb Hinds
El Paso County
Colorado Springs

Dan Stringer

Jul 28, 2019, 6:29:00 PM7/28/19
to Colorado Birds
During my 7/25 sighting the PABU spent most of it's time south of the feeder area in shady deciduous trees and numerous chokecherry (I think) bushes. When it flew to the feeder area it went directly into the same type of bush and fed there before scrounging for seed. The bird seemed to be feeding on small bugs in those bushes vs. berries.

Dan Stringer
Larkspur, CO

Mark Miller

Jul 28, 2019, 9:04:19 PM7/28/19
to daleat...@msn.com, COBirds

Dave and others,

On the feeders, it enjoyed sunflower chips and, to a lesser extent, red millet. (Back when I was feeding birds, white millet was preferred over red. If you buy bird seed at the grocery store, prepare to see a lot of red millet tossed on the ground.) When it was in the weedy stuff south of the feeders, it was getting some sort of seeds, but I can’t say for sure what seeds it was actually finding.

Mark Miller

Longmont, CO

Art Hudak

Jul 28, 2019, 11:54:27 PM7/28/19
to Colorado Birds
Mark,
The filler that is used in grocery store birdseed mixes that birds reject is milo not red millet.

Dave,
The birds preference is the white millet provided in the various seed mixes available. By my study yesterday no natural food source is attracting the bird.

Art Hudak
City of Denver
County of Denver

Preston Sowell

Jul 29, 2019, 12:33:06 PM7/29/19
to daleat...@msn.com, COBIRDS
David,

I went through about 150 photos I took of the bird on Saturday evening. Every seed I saw it eat appears to be white millet. See attached photos.

Preston

Preston Sowell
303-775-6920 (cell)

This communication may contain confidential or legally privileged information, including confidential - attorney work product material prepared in connection with litigation.  If you have received this message in error, please notify me immediately and delete the communication.  Any disclosure, copying, distribution or other use of the contents of this communication is prohibited.

_RJ29550.jpg
_RJ29573.jpg
_RJ29546.jpg
_RJ29558.jpg
_RJ29605.jpg
_RJ29630.jpg

Patrick O'Driscoll

Jul 29, 2019, 2:19:26 PM7/29/19
to preston...@gmail.com, DAVID A LEATHERMAN, COBIRDS
I, too, have a photo -- from the morning of the second day (July 24) -- that shows the PABU with a white millet seed in his mouth.
image.png

Patrick O'Driscoll
City/County of Denver

John Ealy

Jul 29, 2019, 3:59:31 PM7/29/19
to Colorado Birds
The Audubon Nature Center painted bunting was present on and under the benches west of the southernmost building from about 1:14 to 1:30 p.m. Before the bird came, I checked out what seed was left, and it was all  shelled sunflower and milo, no white millet. With my bins, I could see him eating the sunflower but didn't get a photo.
John Ealy
Roxborough Park, Douglas County