Common Nighthawk ??? Jefferson County

Larry Modesitt

Mar 22, 2019, 8:02:05 PM3/22/19
to Colorado Birds
Cobirders,

I can't imagine any being here, but what else could it be? In the northeast corner of Jefferson, on 104th Avenue and just west of Sheridan at about 5:20 p.m., I first saw the erratic flight, and sometimes a short dihedral before resuming the erratic flight. As it approached, I saw the white bars near the wingtips. We've had a very snow winter, and now summer is near?

Larry Modesitt
Arvada

David Wade

Mar 23, 2019, 11:34:38 PM3/23/19
to Colorado Birds

Greetings

Larry, from what I have read, It is more likely to be a Lesser Nighthawk. My source said Lesser Nighthawk begin their migration around mid-March, Common Nighthawk starts to move a month later in mid-April. While Commons are certainly more - dare I say? - common, we do see a few Lessers in Colorado.

David Wade
Ft Collins, CO