El Paso County Greater Roadrunner - 1/5/18

Mel Goff

Jan 5, 2018, 5:56:50 PM1/5/18
to Cobirds
Greetings.

While out shopping, Jeanne and I decided to take a chance on seeing the Greater Roadrunner. We headed out Hanover Road and turned south on Meridian Road. We slowly drove about a quarter-mile down the road and turned around, deciding to park within 100 yards of the intersection. We waited an hour before we started for home. Just 50 feet from the stop sign, Jeanne said, “There it is!”

The bird was on the east side of the road moving around the water tanks. I have a couple of distant blurry photos.

We also saw a large flock of Great-tailed Grackles on Old Pueblo Road, just south of Link Road.

Let’s recap. January 5th and we already have Greater Roadrunner, Red-breasted Sapsucker, and Varied Thrush in El Paso county. Pretty good start.

Good birding, everyone!

Mel and Jeanne Goff
Colorado Springs