Yellow Rail Still Talking

mvjo...@gmail.com

Aug 12, 2022, 11:06:11 PM8/12/22
to Colorado Birds
I went to listen to the Yellow Rail (s) tonite from 7:40 to 8:40 (sunset is 8:03). The west bird was nowhere to be heard in the 20 minutes I listened there. I then moved up to the parking lot main area and stood and listened for the next 40 minutes. The bird called very sporadically but it was within 50 feet of the parking lot and sometimes as close as 15 feet. With binoculars ready, I watched through the bullrush for a glimpse of this bird but it was not to be. Three Sora were not shy, and tiptoed across the reeds putting on a show. Marsh wrens, coots, and muskrats kept it interesting but no Yellow Rail.

By 8:20, the last calls were heard. I for sure had one, but could not definitively say there was a second for this night anyway.

John Rawinski
Monte Vista, CO