Robert A. Spencer, March 31, 1924 - May 11, 2020

Joe Roller

May 12, 2020, 2:02:16 PM5/12/20
to Colorado Birds
Today is a somber day, as long-time Denver area birder and friend, Bob Spencer, passed
away yesterday. His son, Robert, asked me to post this brief obituary. There cannot be a
memorial service anytime soon due to Covid-19, but we'll eventually find a way
to gather, share memories and mark his place in our lives.
Joe Roller, Denver

Dear members of the birding community:
It is with sadness that I share with you that my Father, Robert (Bob) Spencer died peacefully yesterday while in recovery from a recent broken hip. He and his new bride, Shirley (died 2006) moved to Golden Colorado from Buffalo/Rochester New York in 1952. They lived in Golden ever since.
My Father worked as a printer, but he lived to see birds and share birding with the regional birding community, especially members of the Denver Field Ornithologists (DFO) and Colorado Field Ornithologists (CFO).
While serving as a past president of DFO (circa 1990) he helped invent the Ptarmigan award, which the organization still gives out periodically. Some of his proudest moments was receiving lifetime achievement awards from both organizations.
I am so grateful for all of the friendship and support that the birding community has shared with my Father throughout his long life (he was 96 years old!).

Donations in his name may be sent to: Colorado Field Ornithologists (cobirds.org) OR Denver Field Ornithologists (dfobirds.org).

Robert L. Spencer, Ph.D.
Professor of Behavioral Neuroscience
Director of Neuroscience Major
Department of Psychology and Neuroscience
UCB345
University of Colorado Boulder
Boulder, CO 80309
office room: Muen D465B
office phone: 303-492-0854

Wayne Wathen

May 12, 2020, 2:50:42 PM5/12/20
to Colorado Birds, jrol...@gmail.com
Thanks Joe for passing this sad information on, and that to Bob's son for letting us know.  Bob was a super nice person and indeed enjoying his birds and sharing them.  It was an honor to know him and glad his son took him out birding when he could no longer go on his on, but he never quit.

He will be remembered and is now probably birding from above with others including Warren Finch.

Wayne Wathen
Highlands Ranch

One of the most pleasant experiences I have had birding for half a century in Colorado is getting to know Bob Spencer. His kind character was respected throughout the state.

Leon Bright, Pueblo

May 12, 2020, 3:43:36 PM5/12/20
to Colorado Birds
I had occasion to meet Bob Spencer twice over the years-- once at an organized group birding walk, and once by chance, at Last Chance, where we were among other birders chasing a rarity.  Chatting with him briefly on both of those occasions was enough to realize quickly that he was a very knowledgeable birder, and a kind and gentle soul.  My condolenscences to his family.

Dave Cameron
Denver

SeEttaM .

May 12, 2020, 5:04:50 PM5/12/20
to Joe Roller, Colorado Birds
Bird on Joe. We will miss your kindness and knowledge.

SeEtta Moss

Mark Obmascik

May 12, 2020, 5:44:34 PM5/12/20
to Colorado Birds, Joe Roller
So sad to hear this. A few years back, Robert brought his dad in a wheelchair to see the tropical kingbird at South Platte Reservoir.

On the roll back from the bird stakeout site to the car, it was hard to say who wore the bigger grin -- the son or the father, who, if I remember correctly, had just seen Colorado bird No. 453.

That day, only joy was contagious.

RIP Bob Spencer.

Good birding,

Mark Obmascik
Denver, CO

Patrick O'Driscoll

May 12, 2020, 6:01:13 PM5/12/20
to Mark Obmascik, Colorado Birds, Joe Roller
Robert did the same thing with his dad at the first stakeout at Bobcat Ridge for that American Woodcock a few years ago.
It was my first encounter with them, and now I can say that I went birding once with Bob Spencer.
BIP -- Bird in Peace, Bob . . . .

Patrick O'Driscoll
Denver

Glenn and Laurie

May 12, 2020, 6:29:57 PM5/12/20
to pato...@gmail.com, Mark Obmascik, Colorado Birds, Joe Roller

I first met Bob Spencer at the Wheatridge Greenbelt in 1998 or 99. It was when I first started birding. I encountered Bob from time to time over the years while looking for birds. He was always cheerful and funny. Even when he wasn’t funny he was trying to be. Coincidentally I visited Wheatridge Greenbelt for the first time in many years. Today a singing yellow-throated vireo seemed to be following me around.

Good birding Bob Spencer!

Glenn Walbek

Castle Rock, CO

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Steven E Larson

May 12, 2020, 8:46:19 PM5/12/20
to jrol...@gmail.com, Colorado Birds
I remembered meeting Bob when I was about 21 out at Bonny res in about 1973 or 74. We were the only two people in the Foster Grove camp ground and we sat around the fire and he was pointing out constellations to me. Something I have never forgotten.
Rest in peace, Bob.
Steve Larson
Northglenn

Sent from my iPhone

Ira Sanders

May 12, 2020, 9:00:27 PM5/12/20
to Steven Larson, Joe Roller, Colorado Birds
Bob
Your delightful personality will be missed
Ira & Tammy Sanders

David Gulbenkian

May 12, 2020, 10:02:59 PM5/12/20
to Colorado Birds
Bob had a memorable voice.  His voice box lent itself to comedy, which he was always happy to exploit.  My last memory of him was
a comic crowing "I'm still here!" announcing to anyone who might be wondering if Robert Spencer was still around.  Indeed.

Bob Shade

May 12, 2020, 10:23:34 PM5/12/20
to Colorado Birds
Thank you Dr Robert L. Spencer for taking your dear old Dad in a wheelchair to see rarities!

Brandon

May 13, 2020, 12:18:01 AM5/13/20
to cobirds
I'll always remember Bob, he was great, always fun to run into him anywhere around the state.  Longtime Colorado birders will certainly miss him.

Brandon Percival
Pueblo West, CO

On Tue, May 12, 2020 at 8:23 PM Bob Shade <wrsh...@gmail.com> wrote:
Thank you Dr Robert L. Spencer for taking your dear old Dad in a wheelchair to see rarities!

Andrews Robert

May 13, 2020, 2:36:23 AM5/13/20
to Colorado Birds, Joe Roller

Hello all,

Bob Spencer was one of the first three birders I ever met. The first birding trip I made with other birders was a DFO spring count in the Barr Lake area on May 13, 1967 (53 years ago today). I met three birders that day, and Bob Spencer was one of them (the other two were Lois Webster and Patty Echelmeyer). Bob’s infectious enthusiasm and laughter were one of the things that made that day so memorable, and on many subsequent days birding. Bob was certainly a fixture on the Colorado birding scene and he will be missed.

Bob Andrews

Yekepa, Nimba Co., Liberia, West Africa

Hugh Kingery

May 13, 2020, 5:43:33 PM5/13/20
to cob...@googlegroups.com
Urling & I spent many rewarding hours birding with Bob, starting with a Breeding Bird Survey route that started at Cheesman Lake -- one that he inherited from Don Thatcher -- an early DFO leader. I remember one time we met at that goofy hot dog stand along US 285 near Conifer and carpooled to the start of the BBS. At Stop # 17, I locked the keys in my car. We hitch-hiked to his car; he drove to Franktown so I could get another key, and we drove back to rescue my car.

He contributed a lot to Colorado birding; we'll remember him well.

Hugh

Larry Modesitt

May 13, 2020, 7:03:25 PM5/13/20
to Colorado Birds

Larry Modesitt

May 13, 2020, 7:04:02 PM5/13/20
to Colorado Birds

I thank Joe Roller for pointing out Bob’s and Paula’s Bobolink connection, I thank Bob, Jr. for the parental love of delivering Bob and his wheelchair to stakeouts, and I thank Bob Spencer himself for, despite his consistent knowledge and humor, not taking himself too seriously—a very unusual and welcome trait. Bob, you were a boon to both people and birds. All of us have been blessed by your having lived.

Larry Modesitt, Arvada

Bonnie Morgan

May 13, 2020, 9:29:04 PM5/13/20
to larry....@gmail.com, Colorado Birds
This is why I love the Colorado birding community. You are all so willing to share your knowledge and know how to pay your respects to those who went before you

Bonnie Morgan
Timber Pines, Florida

Janet Justice-Waddington

May 13, 2020, 9:29:05 PM5/13/20
to Hugh Kingery, cob...@googlegroups.com
And, Bob Spencer kept us entertained. "Oh, there's a crane",  "Where?"   "Right over there!"  (It was a construction crane.)

Norm Lewis

May 14, 2020, 9:35:58 AM5/14/20
to larry....@gmail.com, cob...@googlegroups.com
Larry's comments are spot on.  I had the privilege of birding with Bob a number of times over the years, and he was a delightful fellow.  However, in doing an outing with Bob one would risk "death by a thousand puns".....

Norm Lewis
Lakewood

Bob Spencer

May 14, 2020, 9:49:13 AM5/14/20
to Colorado Birds

Thank-you all so much for sharing your fond memories of my Dad!
I wonder if there is some cosmic significance in the fact that he chose to pass on from this world during the peak of spring migration. :-)

Good Birding Where Ever You Are!

Bob Spencer
Erie, Colorado

Meg Reck

May 14, 2020, 10:07:37 AM5/14/20
to spe...@colorado.edu, Colorado Birds
Your dad sounds like a delightful fellow! I would have liked to have spent time with him. I have enjoyed reading everyone’s fond memories and can feel your loss of a wonderful man.

Meg Reck
Arapahoe

Sent from my iPad

Doug Ward

May 14, 2020, 8:33:45 PM5/14/20
to Colorado Birds
Dear Colorado Birding Community,

I originally just replied to Joe (see below), but after reading all the accounts of the often funny times with Bob in the field, many by familiar names from the past, thought I'd share my condolences as well because there seems to be a theme here - Bob Spencer (Sr) was a wonderful, funny man loved by many.  I don't think I've met you Bob Jr., but I'm hoping my kids wheel my sorry ass out to see a Yellow-billed Loonie when the time comes - you sound as caring and as good a person as your Father was.

Wishing the Spencer Family Well,
Doug Ward (Kingery/Spencer Class of '73)

May 14, 2020, 8:50:15 PM5/14/20
to Colorado Birds
Beautiful morning 5/14 at Chatfield upstream from Kingfisher bridge on the Douglas County side. Bob Spencer would have loved all the new bird arrivals sights and sounds and a good concrete walk way for his chariot.

I found the Chestnut-sided Warbler about 250 yards up the dirt trail from where the concrete trail ends. Just after a little pond on the right and then up a side trail that makes a hard left up a hill. Myron Gerhard reported it yesterday. Yellow-breasted Chats are singing everywhere. There was a Sage Thrasher that could be heard from the parking lot. And as Bob might say, the least of these would certainly not be the Least Flycatchers vigorously singing their che-Beck che-Beck.

I got some photos and recordings on my eBird list below.

https://ebird.org/checklist/S69038460

Gregg Goodrich
Highlands Ranch

sm...@q.com

May 14, 2020, 9:32:47 PM5/14/20
to Colorado Birds

Cobirders,

I think it was the fall of 1987 when I joined a DFO field trip mid-morning at Cherry Creek State Park.  It was my first foray into organized birding.  Jack, who was leading the trip, greeted me when I approached the group and Bob was the next person to welcome me.  He began chatting with me, asking questions and had a keen interest about my level of birding.  He then proceeded to make sure I saw each bird the group identified and pointed out the finer points of each species.  Being a very punny fellow, I remember him being in rare form that day, but that did not deter me from coming back!  I began regularly attending the DFO meetings and always enjoyed chatting with Bob.  I remember the meeting where he was so excited because he was going to Red Rocks the next day to see a Purple Finch for his 400the state bird.  That was a big thing back in the day.  I got to know Bob as well as one can on different field trips over the years.  Then, in the winter of 2001, Bob rode down to Durango and back with me on a twenty-four-hour odyssey to see a Harlequin Duck.  I think I worked in four words on the trip down.  But that was okay because Bob had a rich narrative about his life, his family and birds.  And yes, we did “get” the bird!  More importantly, I got to know someone that I thought I “knew” up until that point in time.  They don’t make them like him anymore.  Rest easy Bob, and I hope you have been able to add Carolina Parakeet to your list now…

Good Birding,

Steve Stachowiak

Highlands Ranch, CO

May 14, 2020, 11:15:01 PM5/14/20
to Joe Roller, Colorado Birds
I've had the pleasure of running into Bob Sr. and Bob Jr. on several occasions over the years. Even from his wheelchair, Bob's enthusiasm was contagious and I feel fortunate to have met him. The last time I saw them together was in Fall, 2018 out at Cottonwood Marsh in Boulder. After Bob filled me in on the birds that were around, I took this photo of him. It's been great reading about everyone's experiences with him over the years. My heart goes out to his family.

Peter Burke
Boulder

Peter Burke

7988 James Court Niwot, CO 80503