Bird Conservancy Banding Report - Barr Lake Station, 9/22/18

Meredith...@birdconservancy.org

Sep 22, 2018, 7:33:37 PM9/22/18
to Colorado Birds
Was yesterday a lull?  Not sure, but today we had everything we want at the banding station - lots of interesting birds, appreciative visitors (including a good contingent from the Broomfield Bird Club), and homemade cinnamon rolls (provided by a station visitor).  We banded steadily all morning, and then capped everything off by catching a Broad-winged Hawk, not surprisingly the first-ever at the station and a first-in-the-hand for me.  Here's a breakdown of the 68 new birds:

Broad-winged Hawk 1
Western Wood-pewee 1
Dusky Flycatcher 1
House Wren 2
Ruby-crowned Kinglet 6
Hermit Thrush 1
Gray Catbird 1
Orange-crowned Warbler 14
Yellow-rumped Warbler, Audubon's 11
Common Yellowthroat 1
Wilson's Warbler 5
Green-tailed Towhee 1
Chipping Sparrow 8
Song Sparrow 2
Lincoln's Sparrow 5
White-crowned Sparrow, Gambel's 3
Dark-eyed Junco, Pink-sided 4
Dark-eyed Junco, Gray-headed 1

We are open 6 days per week, Tuesday-Sunday, weather permitting, through October 14. We are opening nets at 6:30 and should have birds back at the station by 7:15. We will close most days by about 11:30, earlier as long as this heat continues. School groups arrive most weekdays at about 9:30. The best time to visit (fewest people, most birds) is before 9:30 weekdays and Sundays.

Come visit!

Meredith McBurney
Bander
Barr Lake Station