Acorn Woodpecker- directions

Jean Langel

Jun 8, 2014, 12:49:13 PM6/8/14
to cobirds
I posted directions from what Joe had posted looking at the map it shows both sightings in the same place and actually we were on the other road sorry didn't realize the maps placement..

Take Stony Pass Road head West when you get to the Y you stay to the right don't take Goose Creek Road.  You will come up to a larger parking area on the right (I think is parking for an unofficial camping area-) there is a second small parking  just down the hill (it is marked with small brown sign with a "P") by small grove of trees on North side of the road. If you cross the creek you have gone to far.  The Acorn was hanging out with the Red Headed pair of Woodpeckers on the North side just to the west of that parking area..

Happy Birding.

Joe Roller

Jun 8, 2014, 4:42:30 PM6/8/14
to jeanl...@gmail.com, Colorado Birds, Tom Halverstadt
Seven eager birders were happy to see the female Acorn Woodpecker, right at the described spot, late this morning.
The roads there may need to dry out a bit to make your journey less slippery. Also I am pleased to report thatthe kids shooting rifles at trees as they roamed the valley hit neither the birders nor the cattle. With gunfire in the air, it felt like a re-enactment of Omaha Beach.

Thanks to Jean Langel for finding this bird, probably the one seen right at the same place last summer and also to Tom Halverstadt who spread the word last summer after he discovered this woodpeckery place.
The Acorn Woodpecker may be the same individual that was seen at a home right along the South Platte in 2012 or 2013, over the nearby ridge. Does anyone who saw the birds in past years remember the sex or have photos?

Could the bird be here all year round, or might she head south in the company of the Red-headed Woodpeckers?

Joe Roller,
Denver

Lisa Edwards

Jun 13, 2014, 5:33:16 PM6/13/14
to cobirds
All,

The Acorn Woodpecker was found again this morning in the same general area as described below. It is continuing to try and hang out with a pair of Red-headed Woodpeckers.

> Take Stony Pass Road head West when you get to the Y you stay to the right don't take Goose Creek Road. You will come up to a larger parking area on the right (I think is parking for an unofficial camping area-) there is a second small parking just down the hill (it is marked with small brown sign with a "P") by small grove of trees on North side of the road. If you cross the creek you have gone to far. The Acorn was hanging out with the Red Headed pair of Woodpeckers on the North side just to the west of that parking area.

Lisa Edwards
Palmer Lake, CO

Norm Lewis

Jun 13, 2014, 11:56:25 PM6/13/14
to la...@msn.com, cob...@googlegroups.com
Anyone looking for these birds might also check down the road a bit farther to the west; Wednesday, in addition to an Eric DeFonso sighting, I had a Lewis's Woodpecker (no relation) flycatching and moving from treetop to treetop.  The Lewis's was maybe a quarter mile from the Acorn/Redheads and made a sweet woodpecker triple, all within sight of one another.  I was really pullling for a downy, hairy and flicker so I could claim six simultaneous woodpeckers, but got the result one usually gets when over-reaching.....

Norm Lewis
Lakewood, CO

All,

The Acorn Woodpecker was found again this morning in the same general area as
described below. It is continuing to try and hang out with a pair of Red-headed
Woodpeckers.

> Take Stony Pass Road head West when you get to the Y you stay to the right
don't take Goose Creek Road.  You will come up to a larger parking area on the
right (I think is parking for an unofficial camping area-) there is a second
small parking  just down the hill (it is marked with small brown sign with a
"P") by small grove of trees on North side of the road. If you cross the creek
you have gone to far.  The Acorn was hanging out with the Red Headed pair of
Woodpeckers on the North side just to the west of that parking area.

Lisa Edwards
Palmer Lake, CO

Wayne Wathen

Jun 18, 2014, 6:57:13 PM6/18/14
to cob...@googlegroups.com
I don't know if anyone has seen the Acorn and/or Red-headed Woodpeckers since it was reported by Mark Chavez I believe on June 15th.  My wife (Laura) and I spent about 1 1/2 hours (10:30 am. to noon) looking for these birds this morning to no avail.  I'm not saying they were not there, we just did not see them.  I'm assuming there were reported just north of the small patch of forest on the north side of the road and that is what is being called a small grove of trees.

In honor of Norm, we did see a Northern Flicker which went into a cavity and a Hairy Woodpecker in that area plus a nice male Williamson's Sapsucker but no Acorn or Red-headed.  Perhaps they got tired of harassing each other and there certainly is a lot of habitat to move on to.  Also had a Mountain Bluebird and Sharp-shinned Hawk in that area plus a pair of Black-headed Grosbeaks, Townsend's Solitaires, and heard Warbling Vireos.  Between the junction at Cheeseman's Reservoir, also had an Rock Wren, American Kestrel, more Solitaires, and a nice male Western Bluebird.

It was an interesting trip and hope the birds are still around.  I think that the actual distance from the Cheeseman's Reservoir turnoff before being at the actual reservoir site is about 9 miles.  Further than we thought it would be.

Wayne Wathen
Highlands Ranch, CO

To: la...@msn.com; cob...@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: [cobirds] Acorn Woodpecker Jefferson County, Hayman Fire area- yes