NE Colorado Today

Steven Mlodinow

Jul 31, 2013, 11:35:00 PM7/31/13
to cob...@googlegroups.com
Greetings All

Nick Moore and I wandered about Weld, Logan, Washington, and Morgan Counties.

Crow Valley was kinda sluggish except for the continuous chattering of kingbirds. Some of those kingbirds were CASSIN'S KINGBIRDS... a family group and a pair feeding young in a nest! Also, we had one remaining CALLIOPE HUMM in the nw corner. Finally, we had 3 WARBLING VIREOS, subsp undetermined, that were most likely migrants.

At a pond just north of Logan CR 10 on Logan CR 25 (a few miles n of Merino) there was an adult PEREGRINE FALCON, a BALTIMORE ORIOLE, a BALTIMORE x BULLOCK'S ORIOLE, and an EASTERN PHOEBE

At Prewitt Reservoir, shorebird numbers remained high and diversity low. One SANDERLING being the only shorebird of interest. Along the inlet canal, there was an INDIGO BUNTING, a male INDIGO x LAZULI BUNTING, a WILLOW FLYCATCHER and an interesting (Dusky?) unidentified Empid.

At Andrick Ponds, no Mottled Duck, no Mallards, no duck at all. There was a BN STILT, a fairly unusual bird in Morgan County

Weld Co Rd 59 Ponds remain boring
Loloff has ever fewer birds and naught of interest

Glenmere Park... now that spot was interesting. A Snow Goose and a Cackling Goose both missing all of the primaries on the right wing, having all primaries on left wing. Me suspects non-natural occurrence. Nearly 40 Cattle Egrets flew in late in the afternoon. And a RB NUTHATCH was in the conifers to the east of the pond. Now, I have suspected that RB Nuthatch breeds here, but failed to find any during 3 prior trips this summer. Finally, there were two young MEXICAN DUCK x MALLARD intergrades here... probably one the same as seen during late June, and both likely offspring of male Mexican Duck seen here earlier in summer. All of those birds had all primaries intact

Good Birding
Steven Mlodinow
Longmont CO

PS- Lark Bunts, Lark Sparrows, and Chippies very much on move through prairies.

The "Nunn Guy"

Aug 1, 2013, 11:05:21 AM8/1/13
to cob...@googlegroups.com
That Snow Goose has been at Glenmere Parl since fall.  Injury??

Thanks Gary Lefko, Nunn
http://coloradobirder.ning.com/
Mobile:  http://coloradobirder.ning.com/m