El Paso county Bird ID assistance request

kickback

May 19, 2019, 11:56:41 PM5/19/19
to Colorado Birds
I saw this bird today at Fountain Creek Nature Center. I think it is a female common Yellowthroat but I am not sure of this ID. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks

Bill Kosar
Colorado springs

Deborah Carstensen

May 20, 2019, 12:02:29 AM5/20/19
to bill_...@msn.com, Colorado Birds
Yikes, that beak looks really thick for a yellow throat,,,I’ll look forward to reading the wisdom of others...
Deb Carstensen, Arapahoe county

Sent from my iPhone

stewar2090

May 20, 2019, 12:40:17 AM5/20/19
to fiddl...@aol.com, bill_...@msn.com, Colorado Birds
Bill,

This is a female Summer Tanager. Note the huge pale bill. One has been seen there for probably the better part of a week now.

Best,
Tyler Stewart
Colorado Springs
El Paso Co

Sent via the Samsung Galaxy S7 edge, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone

kickback

May 20, 2019, 12:50:08 AM5/20/19
to Colorado Birds
Thanks Tyler. The huge bill confused me and after looking at it more closely it is paler than I thought originally.

Bill
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to cob...@googlegroups.com.

kickback

May 20, 2019, 1:10:52 AM5/20/19
to Colorado Birds
Karl Stecher asked whether this could be a female scarlet tanager which I think is a good point because the loral line doe not go forward of the eye.

Bill

kickback

May 20, 2019, 1:24:11 AM5/20/19
to Colorado Birds
This picture shows the wing barring in better detail

Bill

Ira Sanders

May 20, 2019, 8:30:56 AM5/20/19
to kickback, Colorado Birds
Bill et al,
I think this is a Summer Tanager mainly due to the bill and inconsistent color from the crown to the tail.  The wings don't look dark enough to be a Scarlet.
Ira Sanders

Ira Sanders
Golden, CO
"My mind is a raging torrent flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."

Jon Webb

May 20, 2019, 10:10:27 AM5/20/19
to bill_...@msn.com, Colorado Birds
Hey Bill,

I really think that looks a lot like a Female Summer Tanager ... any one else concur?? I mean it would be out of place but still.

Thanks,

Jon Webb
Boulder, CO

On May 19, 2019, at 9:56 PM, kickback <bill_...@msn.com> wrote:

KEVIN

May 20, 2019, 10:10:27 AM5/20/19
to bill_...@msn.com, fiddl...@aol.com, Colorado Birds
Looks like a female tanager from the beak...

Sent from XFINITY Connect App

kickback

May 20, 2019, 11:20:23 AM5/20/19
to Colorado Birds
Everyone,

Thanks for your replies about this bird being a Summer Tanager. The fun part is I only saw it because I had gotten close to a tree to get a picture of a large swarm of bees.in it.

Bill