Fremont Co, Pueblo Co 1-22-16

Dan Stringer

Jan 22, 2016, 9:37:35 PM1/22/16
to Colorado Birds
I'd only been birding a few times this January due to busy-ness. Today kind of made up for it.
Brush Hollow Res (Fremont Co) was productive, highlights were Ladder-backed Woodpecker, Northern Shrike, Juniper Titmouse, Bushtits, lots of Mountain Bluebirds, Pine Siskins, two pair of Canyon Towhees, many Townsend's Solitaires, and a noisy flock of Pinon Jays (thanks Bill Maynard for coordinates). I had no success with Sapsuckers in Canon City (Fremont Co) but did see a previously located Western Screech-Owl and found a Ruby-crowned Kinglet. Arriving at Pueblo Res later than I'd planned, I saw a Greater Roadrunner! off to the west of Sailboard Launch turn-in, sunning itself quite near the water. I contacted Brandon Percival who appeared in minutes, as expected I could not relocate it. We had a Prairie Falcon fly-by (first time I'd seen one cross over water) and a Say's Phoebe. South Marina had Curve-billed Thrasher, Lesser Black-backed and Great Black-backed Gull. Then on the way out, from Brandon's coordinates I found seven White-winged Doves in a neighborhood just south of Pueblo City Park.

Dan Stringer
Larkspur, CO