white winged doves - Gunbarrel

JohnT

Apr 23, 2015, 9:16:09 AM4/23/15
to cob...@googlegroups.com
All:
            Two white winged doves are present in the Gunbarrel area along the Cottontail Trail.   The Cottontail Trail can be accessed from 71st st. in Gunbarrel near Lookout Road.  Go East from that access point.   OR you can also access the Cottontail Trail from neighborhoods off of Park Lane Road.   This is the 2nd year I've noticed this species in this neighborhood, but I've never found a nest site.

White winged doves have a distinctive call different from the dozens of Eurasian collared doves in the area;  if you have a good ear.  Also visually, look for the long white shoulder patches visible when the birds are perched.

Effectively you can see 4 dove species in this area.  But the Eurasian's outnumber all the others combined.

In Boulder County: House wrens are back, along with barn swallows, and a multitude of common grackles, pelicans, turkey vultures, mourning doves, and killdeers.

John T (Tumasonis)