White Hawk, Westminster

David Wade

Dec 8, 2014, 9:56:45 PM12/8/14
to cob...@googlegroups.com
One pleasure of birding, for me, is getting other people interested in birds so when my friend Ed told me about an "albino hawk" he saw, I was thrilled for him and me (or is it I?). I can't see enough details in the photos he sent to identify, or describe, the hawk but I assume it's a Red-tailed Hawk just based on probability. He spotted the nearly all white hawk on Sheridan Blvd in Westminster, just north of 104th Ave.. Ed said he has seen this bird in previous winters too so maybe it's a regular winter resident. I posted one of the pictures here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/122221383@N05/15792695940/

David Wade
Ft Collins, CO

Barry

Dec 8, 2014, 11:23:05 PM12/8/14
to cob...@googlegroups.com
That's a leucistic Red-Tailed Hawk, has been seen in that 104th & Sheridan area for a few years now. I've seen him several times while driving by, but not for quite a while. Glad to hear he's back.

- Barry Gingrich
  Broomfield, CO

Janis Robinson

Dec 9, 2014, 10:51:10 AM12/9/14
to cob...@googlegroups.com
This hawk has been in that area for over 10 years. I used to live near there. In 2008 he was hit by a golf ball at Legacy Ridge golf course and eventually released back to the area after being cared for by Birds of Prey rehabilitators. You can read about it in a Broomfield Enterprise story.

Janis Robinson
Coal Creek Canyon, CO

Chuck

Dec 9, 2014, 10:53:03 AM12/9/14
to cob...@googlegroups.com
Whitey is well over twenty years old and has twice been in rehab for golf-ball injuries.
- Chuck Lowrie, Denver

Charles Hundertmark

Dec 9, 2014, 1:48:22 PM12/9/14
to Chuck Lowrie, Cobirds
After one of his rehabs, the rehabilitator named him "My Hawk." Someone else suggested the name "Cloud." After watching his spectacular courtship flight a few years back, I kind of like "Cloud." It captures the brilliance of the white plumage flashed in the morning sunlight.

Chuck

Chuck Hundertmark
2546 Lake Meadow Drive
Lafayette, CO 80026

Andrea Wieland

Apr 13, 2019, 11:41:50 AM4/13/19
to Colorado Birds
Last Tuesday I got to see this hawk in Westminster leaving work to head to Boulder for an appointment. I was thrilled when I found this thread. Sounds like this hawk could be quite old now, the one I saw was clearly white, with some slight buffy colors which made me wonder at first if it was one of the owls I have seen in the area (but this was still the middle of the day). But after looking at the shape, knowing it was a hawk. Do you think there could be off-spring off this hawk? It was sitting on the light pole across front the rec center on Sherridan right before 104th.

Andrea D Wieland
Brighton, CO

Joe Roller

Apr 13, 2019, 1:39:17 PM4/13/19
to adhw...@gmail.com, Colorado Birds
Seems to be the same leucistic raptor birders have enjoyed seeing for years.
Average life of a Red-tailed Hawk (once they reach maturity) is about 6-7 years.

Do you think there could be off-spring off this hawk?

Here's what I saw on the Internet about inherited leucism.
Although leucism is inherited, the extent and positioning of the white colouration can vary between adults and their young, and can also skip generations if leucisticgenes are recessive. The reduction of pigment in leucistic birds causes feathers to weaken and be more prone to wear.

Joe Roller, Denver

Eric DeFonso

Apr 13, 2019, 3:12:53 PM4/13/19
to adhw...@gmail.com, Colorado Birds
I've been told by some locals that this bird has been seen in the area since the early 2000s. I used to live near there and would look for it every time I passed near that intersection. I wouldn't see it every time of course, but maybe once every 6-7 times. (Bird's gotta make a living, after all.) I believe it's a year-round resident, but I may be mistaken.

Eric

-------
Eric DeFonso
Coal Creek Canyon, Jefferson County, CO (at exactly 8,000' ASL)

On Sat, Apr 13, 2019 at 9:41 AM Andrea Wieland <adhw...@gmail.com> wrote:

Jessi Oberbeck

Apr 13, 2019, 3:16:24 PM4/13/19
to Eric DeFonso, adhw...@gmail.com, Rare Bird Alert CFO
I first saw him in March 2003 after a big snow storm. When I mistakenly identified it as a gyrfalcon and called it in to the RBA (remember when you had yo call?😊) they told me it was the red-tail who had "been there for at least 3 years". I live off 120th and Sheridan and drive south every day for work. I see him (and his misses) about every 3rd day. She successfully kept their territory while he was in rehab!

Jessi Oberbeck
Westminster, Co