Great Horned Finches in west Centennial, Arapahoe County

kevyg...@aol.com

May 15, 2024, 10:55:38 AMMay 15
to cob...@googlegroups.com
Hello Fellow Birders,

   We just saw our first fledgling House Finches of the year in our little townhouse yard near Holly & Arapahoe.  The fledglings often have a few unkempt feathers on their heads that are similar to the feather tufts of Great Horned Owls, thus the moniker Great Horned Finch.

   In other news, the Bullocks Orioles have moved on but the Western Tanagers are still feeding up for the rest of their journey northward.

   And the White-breasted Nuthatches who usurped our nestbox from the Black-capped Chickadees this year are frantically feeding their brood.  I find it interesting that they've been feeding them bits of suet from our homemade suet cake.

   Lovely time of year...

Keep Smilin',
Kevin Corwin
west Centennnial, Arapahoe County

Sent from my Remington Rand Typewriter via my Rotary Dial Wall Phone