Parasitic Jaeger- only one previous record from Cherry Creek SP.or Arapahoe County.

Joe Roller

Sep 16, 2016, 10:44:48 AM9/16/16
to Colorado Birds
Many thanks for Glenn Walbek for finding and photographing this mega-rarity!
Parasitic Jaeger (aka Arctic Skua) is rare in CO, and there is only one previous record from CCSP, also a juvenile, accepted by CBRC, with photos, from Sept 16-24, 1973.
Ref: "Bob and Bob," Colorado BIrds, Robert Andrews, Robert Righter, published by Denver Museum of Natural History, 1992). That record has not made it into the eBird database
yet, but will soon be added.

Joe Roller, Denver
Stercorarius-o-phile

Brian Johnson

Sep 16, 2016, 11:48:58 AM9/16/16
to Colorado Birds
Congratulations also to Glenn Walbek for findings this rare bird! Very exacting. I am wondering if this bird is the same jaeger I saw at the Marina Sandspit at Chatfield on the 9th of this month in Douglas County, on week ago. This jaeger I believe to have been a Parasitic and also a juvenile. It is being reviewed by the CBRC now, I have three photos of it for them to look over. It would be impossible to say for sure if it is the same bird of course, but if so it is a traveling bird, possibility having crossed into Jefferson over South Platte Reservoir's small Jeffoc part across the highway from Chatfield, which it looked like might be doing at one point, that would make it a tri county jaeger! Interesting to try and piece  together the movements of this bird. Here is my checklist from that time if any one would like to compare photos,

Glenn Walbek

Sep 16, 2016, 7:29:50 PM9/16/16
to COBIRDS
It took about 4 hours but I finally got some decent pictures to add to a checklist.  If you are lucky enough to see this bird chase a sterna tern, it is incredible!

Glenn Walbek
Castle Rock, CO

Brian Johnson

Sep 17, 2016, 8:08:43 PM9/17/16
to Colorado Birds
Great photos Glenn, better then the ones I got at Chatfield. Now I see a posting that three have been seen at Jumbo, so maybe the one I saw was different and we are having a "jaeger invasion"? That would be awesome. Here I am planing a trip to San Diego and the Imperil Valley this December and I was hoping to see my first Jaeger there in California, I have now seen my first in land locked Colorado! Amazing. Truly the joys of birding, you just don't know what will show up.

Brian Johnson

Englewood CO

Gloria Nikolai

Sep 18, 2016, 3:56:15 PM9/18/16
to Colorado Birds
The Parasitic Jagger was still at Cherry Creek State Park this morning. Jamie Simo and I observed it from several vantage points today from about 10 am - 12. It mostly hung out in the middle of the lake though flew around hassling Gulls a few times.

Gloria Nikolai
El Paso County

Great photos Glenn, better then the ones I got at Chatfield. Now I see a posting that three have been seen at Jumbo, so maybe the one I saw was different and we are having a "jaeger invasion"? That would be awesome. Here I am planing a trip to San Diego and the Imperil Valley this December and I was hoping to see my first Jaeger there in California, I have now seen my first in land locked Colorado! Amazing. Truly the joys of birding, you just don't know what will show up.

Brian Johnson

Englewood CO

Wayne Wathen

Sep 20, 2016, 3:08:27 PM9/20/16
to Colorado Birds
I was happy to see that the Parasitic Jaeger is still at Cherry Creek SP this morning at least from about 9:00 to 10:30 a.m.  From a long distance, it looks pretty plain to my old eyes, until it flashes its wings.  Then cool.

Wayne Wathen
Highlands Ranch, CO

From: gloria...@hotmail.com
To: cob...@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: [cobirds] Re: Parasitic Jaeger- Cherry Creek SP
Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2016 19:56:03 +0000

Gregg Goodrich

Sep 21, 2016, 12:31:24 AM9/21/16
to Colorado Birds
Ann Troth and I were also thrilled to find the Parasitic Jaeger still chasing gulls at Cherry Creek this morning. Thanks Glenn for finding this amazing bird.

Ann and I just got back from a houseboating/kayaking trip to Lake Powell. We also had a Parasitic Jaeger on Powell about 40 miles up river from Bullfrog. That is in SW Utah. So it does seem to be a good year for the species.

Gregg Goodrich
Aurora CO