Brewster's Warbler? Erie, Boulder County

Chris Pagliaro

May 30, 2020, 12:25:55 AM5/30/20
to Colorado Birds

I had the bird pictured below in my yard in western Erie (Arapahoe and 287) on May 27.  It actually flew into my window, flew into one of our trees to recover for a bit, and then flew off.  It did not sing during its time in my yard.  It seems to most closely resemble the Brewster's backcross adult depicted in Sibley's.  Does this seem like an accurate ID?  Thank you for any information!

Chris Pagliaro

Erie

IMG_5380.jpg

Sebastian Patti

May 30, 2020, 8:23:25 AM5/30/20
to Colorado Birds, pagliar...@gmail.com
Hey there . . . don't know if anyone mentioned to you . . . you have a female Chestnut-sided Warbler . . . pretty bird, thanks for sharing.

sebasti...@hotmail.com
Sebastian T. Patti
770 S. Grand Avenue
Unit 3088
Los Angeles, CA 90017
May 30, 2020, 8:36:15 AM5/30/20
to Colorado Birds
Chris,

This looks more like a chestnut-sided warbler to me. It appears he hasn’t gotten his trademark look all the way together just yet...

As a side note, if window strikes are happening on your property, you may want to look at this article to see how to mitigate it a bit: https://www.allaboutbirds.org/news/why-birds-hit-windows-and-how-you-can-help-prevent-it/

There’s a good chance you probably already know all that, and may have already taken some steps, but maybe someone else who sees this post doesn’t/hasn’t. I digress.

Glad this one was no worse for wear. Hopefully he has a successful mating season and we have more beautiful Chestnut-sided warblers to see next year.

Happy birding,
Steve Rash
Denver Co.

Chris Pagliaro

May 30, 2020, 8:43:32 AM5/30/20
to Colorado Birds
Thank you all for the messages and replies- it seems the consensus is that it is a female chestnut-sided warbler.  I had turned right past it in the field guide since it did not have any "chestnut," but I see that it is still a better match.  Thank you for everyone's expertise!  Also, thank you, Steven, for the article- I will look into it!
Chris Pagliaro
Erie