Jackson Lake gulls (Morgan Co.)

David Dowell

Apr 20, 2015, 12:26:10 PM4/20/15
to cob...@googlegroups.com
Several hundred gulls were present early this morning, one of which looked like an adult WESTERN GULL.  But, I should mention that I don't have much experience with this species.

Also present were ICELAND (3rd year), Thayer's, Herring, Lesser Black-backed, Ring-billed, Franklin's, and Bonaparte's Gulls.

Gulls and grebes were on the west side of the lake early this morning and could be viewed from the state park.  Also be aware of road work in the area.

David Dowell
Longmont, CO

David Dowell

Apr 25, 2015, 7:15:53 PM4/25/15
to cob...@googlegroups.com
Lots of gulls (roughly 700) were still at Jackson Lake this morning (Saturday), feeding with the grebes and cormorants and then resting on the north side of the lake.  As I arrived, a large, very pale, dark-billed gull (first impression Glaucous-Winged or Glaucous-Winged x Herring, but I don't know) flew by, turned, and then was outta there.  Otherwise, I found 5 Lesser Black-backed Gulls, 1 first-year Thayer's Gull, Herring, California, Franklin's, Bonaparte's, and Ring-billed Gulls.  No sign of the Iceland Gull.

Although I didn't see a gull that looked quite like the candidate Western Gull from Monday, I've decided to leave Monday's gull as unidentified.  Observing gulls today was a good reminder at how difficult it is to observe the relevant characteristics at great distance for the breeding-plumage dark-mantled gulls.

David Dowell
Longmont, CO