White Dove Along the river (Arapahoe County)

Brian Johnson

Aug 15, 2016, 7:13:13 PM8/15/16
to Colorado Birds
So probably not the most exiting find nor one I can even post to ebird, but I was intrigued to see a white dove along the river on the way back to my car, with some Rock Pigeons and a Mallard, it had black wing tips with an yellow orange beak. Not an albino since the eyes were black, the camera did not auto correct the eyes like it sometimes does. Can some one tell me what exactly is a white dove, is it some domestic dove gone feral? This was along the Merry Carter Greenway right under the Bowles Under Pass.

Brian Johnson
Englewood CO

Auto Generated Inline Image 1

Tom Behnfield

Aug 16, 2016, 8:16:12 AM8/16/16
to Colorado Birds
This looks quite a bit like the somewhat leucistic Rock Dove (Feral Pigeon) that I saw at I-76 and Kersey Road on July 31 2016. It was also almost all white with black on the tail. A Photo is attached.

Good birding,

Tom Behnfield
Lakewood, CO

Brian Johnson

Aug 17, 2016, 10:04:03 AM8/17/16
to Colorado Birds
Thanks for the help from every one. I believe now this was not at all a white dove but a leucistic Rock Pigeon, I was mistaken when I said it had a black wing tip, that turned out to be the tail. Thanks again,
Brian Johnson
Englewood CO