Willets, Whimbrels and Warblers at Union & Jim Hamm, Boulder/Weld CO.

Jay Hutchins

Apr 29, 2020, 2:11:27 PM4/29/20
to Colorado Birds
Got to Union Res. early (6:20 am) and was rewarded with 20 Whimbrels on the north shore, roosting with 5 Forester's Terns.  Got there just in time as the Whimbrels flew north at 6:37 am.  100 yds further east were 11 Willets being very vocal.    Checklist with some poor pics here:  https://ebird.org/checklist/S68023179.   Probably 95% fewer ducks than yesterday.

Went over to Jim Hamm and had 7 YRWA's, mixture of both kinds.  Of course I left my camera behind, but mixed in with the YRWA's was a female Blackpoll warbler. Had to dig out Sibey's when I got home as I originally had no clue.  Similar sized, but white eye arcs above/below eye with a thin black stripe through the eye, orange legs and a mostly white breast with black/darkish streaks on the periphery.   Went back at 10 am and of course had no luck finding it again.

Jay Hutchins
Longmont, CO