Bird Conservancy of the Rockies - Barr Banding Report 8/30/23

meredith

Aug 30, 2023, 7:59:54 PM8/30/23
to Colorado Birds
Even warmer than yesterday and continued slow.

The birds of note today were the three Red-winged Blackbirds, all in the middle of body, wing and tail molt.  Like the Grackles we caught earlier this week, RWBLs are rare captures at the station (these were the first since 2016), probably having something to do with the higher water levels later in the summer than usual.  Here's today's 15 new birds:

Mourning Dove 1
House Wren 5
Yellow Warbler 1 new, 1 banded last year
Wilson's Warbler 3
Yellow-breasted Chat 1
Red-winged Blackbird 3

If you would like to visit, we have one-hour slots (up to 15 visitors at a time) from 7:30-8:30 most weekday mornings (Tues-Fri, we are closed on Mon) and 8, 9 , and 10 a.m. one-hour time slots on the weekends.  Click here to make a reservation.  (For folks who tried to use the link from yesterday to register, my apologies - try again, as this one should work!)

Meredith McBurney
Bander, Barr Lake Station
Bird Conservancy of the Rockies