Cassin's Vireo & Possible Gray Flycatcher - Centennial (Arapahoe)

Jared Del Rosso

Apr 30, 2019, 5:09:16 PM4/30/19
to Colorado Birds
This morning, an empid called me out into my yard. I'm leaning Gray Flycatcher, as the bird has been twitching its tail, downward it seems to me, all day. I've been fooled by twitchy Duskies before, so I need to inspect my photos and videos before I call it.

Glad that bird got me outside, too. As I watched it, a Cassin's Vireo passed through the yard. It foraged, for a time, before flying into my west Centennial (Arapahoe County) neighborhood. It's amazing how different Cassin's can look depending on the lighting. In the open, on my honeylocust, the bird was warbler yellow. In the shade of my shrubs, I had to convince myself it wasn't a Plumbeous with a bit of yellow wash.

An Orange-crowned Warbler was also a new arrival. A Hermit Thrush, first seen a day or two ago, provided uncommonly close views. At one point, it landed on a branch just feet from my shoulder. I tried to turn and get a photo, but of course it flew off.

- Jared Del Rosso
Centennial, CO

Jared Del Rosso

Apr 30, 2019, 7:54:40 PM4/30/19
to Colorado Birds
I'm still leaning Gray Flycatcher, given the consistency of the downward, flicking tail and the apparent hook on the bill. Checklist, with so-so photographs, is here: https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S55606416. I'd welcome confirmations. Second opinions, too.

Thanks,
- Jared Del Rosso
Centennial, CO