Weld County birding

Nicholas Komar

Mar 25, 2017, 1:51:49 PM3/25/17
to 'Egret' via Colorado Birds
This morning, Dave Wade, Austin Hess and I ventured east of our usual haunts in search of recently reported rarities. At Lower Latham Res, we struck out on Short-eared Owl and Great Black-backed Gull, but were greeted by friendly Virginia Rail and very photogenic Peregrine Falcon (see below) along CR 48. At Beebe Draw ponds along CR 40, the highlight was a drake Cinnamon x Blue-winged Teal hybrid (see below). At Stewart Pond, ninety minutes of searching 7 birders could not turn up the reported Eurasian Wigeon, although many other species (37) were present, including immature Tundra Swan (continuing) and a rare drake Northern Shoveler x Gadwall, which was too distant for quality photos. Nearby at Behrens Reservoir, early spring migrants Lesser Yellowlegs and Least Sandpiper (one each) tripped the eBird filter. David Chartier found the Least Sandpiper.

Nick Komar
Fort Collins

Sent from my iPhone
image2.JPG
image1.JPG

Susan Rosine

Mar 26, 2017, 9:24:18 AM3/26/17
to Colorado Birds
Hi Nick and All,
The day I went up to Stewart's Pond, I actually found the GadwallxShoveler on a smaller pond, just a bit east of Stewart's. I did get some decent photos. When I record it on Ebird I will post the link so you can see it, if you'd like.
Susan Rosine
Thornton

Susan Rosine

Mar 27, 2017, 11:56:48 PM3/27/17
to Colorado Birds
I'm way behind on my Ebird recordings, but here is an excellent site about the hybrid, AND a recent picture of this specific bird!
http://birdhybrids.blogspot.com/2014/03/gadwall-x-northern-shoveler.html?m=1

Susan Rosine
Thornton

Susan Rosine

Mar 28, 2017, 5:16:36 PM3/28/17
to Colorado Birds
Pictures of the awesome Gadwall x Shoveler Hybrid

Susan Rosine​
Thornton