Great blue heron versus muskrat, cormorants, Arapahoe County

Deborah Carstensen

Oct 17, 2016, 11:06:53 PM10/17/16
to Cobirds
After sunning himself for two 10 minute sessions, a great blue heron walked into my pond, hung out for a few minutes and then proceeded to kill and eat a muskrat . I think the muskrat was a juvenile but was still pretty large.
As with last year, I have up to 150 cormorants roosting in our cottonwoods every evening. It's a real joy to watch them fly in, all going in different directions at different heights above the ponds.
And their vocalizations at night are pretty much unbelievable!
Deb Carstensen, Arapahoe county

Sent from my iPhone